- Release Date March 15, 2022
- Game Edition GTA OnlineGTA V Story Mode
- Platforms PlayStation 5Xbox Series X|S
The Expanded & Enhanced Edition of GTA 5 releases on PS5 & Xbox Series X|S on March 15, 2022, along with the Standalone version of GTA Online. On this page, you find all the enhancements and upgrades that have been added to the New-Gen edition GTA 5 & GTA Online.
After already being enhanced in 2014 for PS4 & Xbox One, Grand Theft Auto V makes a remarkable transition to its 3rd console generation, almost 9 years after its original release. Stay tuned on this page, as we will continue to update it with the full contents and features revealed and discovered for GTA 5 on PS5 & Xbox Series X|S.
The PS5 & Xbox Series X|S remastered versions of GTA 5 feature new graphics modes including up to 4K resolution, a framerate of up to 60 frames per second, improved texture qualities, HDR options and ray tracing, faster loading times, immersive 3D audio, platform-specific features, and more.
GTA V & GTA Online for PS5 & Xbox Series X|S
- GTA 5 Release Date for PS5 / Xbox Series X|S
- GTA 5 Enhancements for PS5 & Xbox Series X|S
- GTA Online Exclusive Content for PS5 & Xbox Series X|S
- Standalone Version of GTA Online (PS5 & Xbox Series X|S)
- GTA 5 & GTA Online Transfer To PS5 and Xbox Series X|S
- GTA+ New Membership Service For GTA Online
- GTA 5 PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Screenshots
- GTA 5 PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Artworks
- GTA 5 PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Videos & Trailers
GTA 5 Release Date for PS5 / Xbox Series X|S
GTA 5 for PS5 & Xbox Series X|S, along with the Standalone version of GTA Online, has been made available digitally on Tuesday, March 15, 2022, through the PlayStation 5 console store and the Microsoft Store.
The physical releases of GTA V & Online for PS5 & Xbox Series X|S have hit the shelves a month later, on April 12, 2022.
The standard price of GTA 5 for PS5 & Xbox Series X|S is $39.99, however, for the first three months (until June 14) it's available at just $9.99 on PlayStation 5 (75% off), and $19.99 on Xbox Series X|S (50% off).
Initially announced in June 2020, the GTA V Expanded & Enhanced Edition for PS5 & Xbox Series X|S, and the Standalone Version of GTA Online was initially set to release in November 2021, but they were later delayed to March 2022.
What about PC? At the moment the GTA V Expanded & Enhanced edition is not releasing on PC. It may come in in a future Title Update. After all, the PC version already supports 4K resolution and 60 frames per second, which are some of the features touted for PS5 & Xbox Series X|S, so it may not need a separate release.
GTA 5 Enhancements for PS5 & Xbox Series X|S
The GTA 5 Expanded & Enhanced Edition for PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X|S features a range of technical improvements, graphical upgrades, and performance enhancements to take full advantage of the latest hardware, making the game more beautiful and more responsive than ever.
GTA 5 & GTA Online New Features for PS5 & Xbox Series X|S
- New graphics modes with up to 4K resolution and up to 60 frames per second
- Improved Texture quality and draw distance
- Ray-tracing, as well as ray-traced reflections (after 1.64 update)
- HDR options
- Faster loading times and character switching
- Highly detailed new explosions and fire
- Improved lighting quality across shadows, water reflections
- Increased vegetation density
- Increased population and traffic variety
- Enhanced gameplay, anti-aliasing, and motion blur
- Immersive 3D audio
- Platform-specific features such as advanced Haptic Feedback on PS5, adding new sensations to weather effects, directional damage, rough road surfaces, and explosions
However, unlike when the game was enhanced for PS4 & Xbox One, these new PS5 & Xbox Series X|S editions don't have any gameplay changes or new content added to Story Mode, the core of the game remains essentially the same. There is also no bonus content for returning players.
New Graphics Modes for GTA 5 on PS5 and Xbox Series X|S
The Xbox Series X|S and PS5 versions of GTA 5 allow you to choose from three new graphics settings to tailor your gameplay experience for what matters most to you.
- Fidelity mode: tuned for the highest visual quality and targets 30 FPS. In this mode, the PS5 and Xbox Series X support native 4K resolution with ray tracing enabled, while the Xbox Series S supports upscaled 4K resolution.
- Performance mode: tuned for the most responsive gameplay experience and targets 60 FPS. In this mode, the PS5 and Xbox Series X support upscaled 4K resolution, while the Xbox Series S supports a resolution of 1080p.
- Performance RT mode: a hybrid of the Fidelity and Performance modes, supporting upscaled 4K resolution with ray tracing enabled and targeting 60 FPS.
GTA Online Exclusive Content for PS5 & Xbox Series X|S
The ever-evolving world of GTA Online will continue to the new generation with more new updates, including additional GTA Online content exclusive to the new consoles.
Hao's Special Works Auto Shop
The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S versions of GTA Online include the new Hao's Special Works Auto Shop, located within the LS Car Meet. It must be first unlocked by taking Hao's phone call and completing a time trial using an HSW modified vehicle.
The HSW Auto Shop allows players to upgrade select vehicles (5 new vehicles and 4 existing vehicles at launch) with new speed improvements for elite driving performance. These performance upgrades add a second bar to the acceleration statistic.
The previously existing vehicles that support these new performance upgrades are: Sentinel XS, Hakuchou Drag, Turismo Classic, Banshee, Deveste Eight, Brioso R/A.
Hao's Mod Shop also runs a specification service, which allows you to purchase an exact replica (model and customizations) of another player's Personal Vehicle while it's parked at the LS Car Meet.
New Vehicles for PS5 & Xbox Series X|S
The PS5 & Xbox Series X|S version of GTA Online adds 5 new exclusive vehicles, that come with the new performance upgrades at Hao’s Special Works:
Returning players from PS4 and Xbox One will receive a free and fully HSW-upgraded Karin S95, plus free Dark Purple Pearl and Red Prismatic Pearl Chameleon Paints for all HSW-eligible vehicles.
New HSW Race Series & Time Trials
The PS5 & Xbox Series X|S versions of GTA Online feature a new class of Races dedicated to specially modified HSW vehicles, along with an HSW Racing Outfit and set of new Chameleon paints usable on all vehicles.
There will also be a weekly rotation of Hao’s Special Works Time Trials, along with a Premium Test Ride, where you can try out these newly modified vehicles for free.
New GTA Online players starting on the next generation can now enter the Career Builder, which gives instant access to a business and a sizable amount of GTA$4,000,000 cash to kickstart their enterprise.
The Career Builder allows you to choose from one of four Criminal Careers:
- Executive: comes with CEO Office & Warehouse
- Gunrunner: comes with Bunker business
- Nightclub Owner: comes with Nightclub business
- Biker: comes with MC Clubhouse & Biker business
The GTA$4,000,000 cash can be used to select all the essentials, including:
- A Business / Property with upgrades
- A high-end vehicle
- A set of weapons
Returning players also have the option to restart their character and take advantage of the Career Builder at any time.
GTA Online for PS5 and Xbox Series also comes with other quality of life improvements, including:
- A new Main Menu that allows you to skip the GTA V Story Mode prologue before entering GTA Online
- A new GTA Online Landing Page that allows you to jump directly into Freemode, Heists, Races, Adversary Modes, and weekly event content.
- A new introduction and GTA Online Tutorial for new players
- The ability to choose different session types from the "Find New Session" submenu
- Increased base payouts on Biker Sell Missions and Nightclub Daily Income
Standalone Version of GTA Online (PS5 & Xbox Series X|S)
GTA Online is now also available as a standalone game exclusively for PS5 (PlayStation Store) and Xbox Series X|S (Microsoft Store), similarly to what was done for the Standalone version of Red Dead Online.
Releasing on March 15, 2022, for the first three months, the new standalone version of GTA Online is available to download and keep for FREE exclusively for PS5 players.
GTA Online Standalone also has a 50% off discounted price for Xbox, with the game costing just $9.99 until June 14, after which it will be available for the standard price of $19.99. Of course, PlayStation Plus and/or Xbox Live Gold are required to play.
Players who own the standalone version of GTA Online have the option to purchase the Story Mode of GTA V at any time. It's important to note that the Rockstar Editor and Director Mode are only available to players who have the Story Mode as well.
GTA 5 & GTA Online Transfer To PS5 and Xbox Series X|S
Existing PS4 and Xbox One players that want to continue their GTA 5 journey on the newest generation can transfer both their GTA V Story Mode progress and their current GTA Online characters and progression to PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, with a one-time migration.
How to Transfer GTA Online Progress from PS4 to PS5, or from XB1 to XSX
Players with a Rockstar Games Social Club account are given the option to migrate their GTA Online character progress to PS5 or Xbox Series X|S upon loading up the game on either of these new consoles. You can also choose to transfer your character via the "Migrate Profile" option in the Online Pause Menu.
This migration includes any Characters, GTA$, Progression, Stats, Vehicles, Properties, Weapons, Clothing, and Player-Created Jobs.
UPDATE: When this feature launched in March 2022, migrating your character to the new generation platform would delete your character on the old generation console. This is no longer the case after the 1.67 Update in June 2023: now, migrating your character no longer deletes your old-gen progress, allowing you to continue using your characters on both generations, with separate progress on each.
How to Transfer GTA 5 Story Progress from PS4 to PS5, or from XB1 to XSX
This is the first time that GTA 5 players are also able to transfer their Story Mode progress from a previous edition.
Players can transfer their Story Mode progress from PS4 to PS5, by uploading a save to the Rockstar Games Social Club for download on the new console.
Ensure that your Rockstar Games Social Club account is linked to your preferred console account, and follow this step by step process:
- Open GTA V on your current console (PS4 / Xbox One)
- Go to the Game tab of the Pause Menu
- Select the "Upload Save Game" option
- Open GTA V on the next-gen console (PS5 / Xbox Series X|S)
- Go to the Game tab of the Pause Menu (or select the save game from the alert screen on the GTA 5 Landing Page)
- Select the "Download Save Game" option
You can only store one game save per platform at a time, and saves will remain available to download for 90 days. You can overwrite the stored save game multiple times until you choose to download it on the next-gen console.
Once the Save Game has been downloaded successfully to a PS5 or Xbox Series X|S console, no further uploads can be made from that account.
GTA+ New Membership Service For GTA Online
On March 29, 2022, Rockstar launched GTA+, a new membership program exclusively for GTA Online on PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, providing easy access to a range of valuable benefits for $5.99 a month.
Being a GTA+ Member gets you a recurring monthly GTA$500,000 direct deposit to your Maze Bank account, plus the opportunity to claim properties in and around Los Santos that unlock gameplay updates you may have missed out on, special vehicle upgrades, Member-only discounts, GTA$ and RP bonuses, and more each month.
GTA+ Members can also take advantage of special GTA+ Shark Cards that provide extra bonus cash from the PlayStation Store on the PS5 or Microsoft Store.
GTA 5 PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Screenshots
GTA 5 PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Artworks